June 17, 2011 | No Comments »
Next time you get your nails done ask your salon some simple, but very important questions:
- How do you sterlize your implements?
- How often do you sterlize your implements?
- Are you in compliance with the Board of Cosmetology’s requirements? Meaning do you throw away your buffers, files and any other tools that can not be sterilized.
Here is what the answers should be:
- All non-disposable implements are sterilized in an medical grade sterlizer or autoclave machine.
- All non-disposable implements are sterilized after each customer.
- Yes, anything that can be sterlized is sterilized using the autoclave. Everything else is immediately thrown away after one use. This includes buffers, brushes, files and anything else that comes in contact with customer’s skin.
Some nail salons are still using barbicide to sterilize their tools. This is the blue solution you see in the glass containers. Barbacide kills spores and bacteria, but only if the tools are sterilized for 24 hours. That is a long time and even 24 hours of sterilization can not guarantee proper sterilization. There are still other factors to consider, such as the concentration and age of the barbicide solution. Your best bet, is to find a salon that puts cleanliness first, by investing in a medical grade sterilizer, like an autoclave. The machines are pricey, so finding a salon that has one and uses it properly might be a challenge, but it is definitely worth finding.
- Distilled water is used to sterilize the tools, not tap water! We replace the Water in the autoclave before each sterilization process.
- It takes the autoclave 20 minutes to sterilize tools. The temperature in the chamber will reach 273 F at a pressure of 30 psi.
- Second part of sterilization is the dry processthat takes 20 minutes.
- Once completed the tools have been sterlized and are ready to use.
- The pouch is opened in front of the customer and used once!
June 7, 2011 | No Comments »
Scotch Naturals is a line of water-based, non-toxic polish that is free of the harsh chemicals found in most solvent-based polishes. Designed to nourish and strengthen nails with repeated use, it is non-yellowing, and requires no base or top coat.
Scotch Naturals is a safe and eco-friendly alternative to conventional solvent-based polish. Is a revolutionary water-based formula nourishes and conditions nails, delivering long lasting, salon-quality color. Polish contains none of the chemicals found in typical nail polish: toluene, dibutyl phthelate, formaldehyde, acetone, and heavy metals.
At Bellemani we proudly carry the entire Scotch collection, including Hopscotch, a line designed especially for kids.