Air Quality in Nail Salons
Have you ever noticed that you can smell a nail salon before you even see the salon? That’s because most nails salons in the United States perform artificial nail services (i.e. acrylics / fills) that require the use of harmful chemicals. These chemicals include methacrylates, formaldehyde, benzoyl peroxide and phthalates. These vapors are so strong that they can travel and affect neighboring businesses.
Signs of irritation include:
- redness of skin
- dry skin
- cracked skin
- shortness of breath
Long term risks include:
- chronic headaches
- ability to concentrate / learn
- reproductive harm
Is your favorite nail salon harmful to your health? Take this short little quiz and find out. If you answer yes to any of these questions, consider finding a healthy alternative.
1) Does the salon offer acrylics?
2) Does the salon have artificial plants and flowers? Real plants and flowers can’t survive in the toxic nail salon environment.
3) Do some of the manicurist use masks?
4) Take a deep breath before you enter the salon and see if it smells inside
5) Does the salon use acetone?
6) Does the salon use drills? The used in artificial services spreads and can irritate the skin of all customers, not just the one receiving the service.
Look for a natural, healthy nail salon that is committed to your health and safety. A healthy salon does not offer artificial services – acrylics. Not only are acrylics prone to collecting bacteria, but the process of applying and removing acrylics is dangerous to everyone who visits the salon.
At Bellemani we use only natural products and strive to use organic whenever possible. We do not do artificial services as we are committed to providing a fume free environment. When you walk into our salon you’ll smell soothing scents of lavender and vanilla. You will not smell harsh chemicals. In fact most of our guests don’t rush out after receiving their services because they enjoy being in a clean, health and relaxing environment. Keep that in mind when looking for a new nail salon, find one that you enjoy being in.